Sunday, July 26, 2026

Anticipation

 I wrote a few posts ago about anticipation.  About how expecting something (or fearing it) is more exciting than the thing itself.

Tomorrow my new spinning wheel should be arriving.  It's been a wait - I signed onto the Kickstarter in October 2024, so 21 months.

Do I need another spinning wheel?  Of course not. I have three traditional treadle wheels, an antique great wheel, a charkha, a wee Nano Electric Eel Wheel, plus a bunch of handspindles.   Do I even feel a little guilty about the spinning tools I have that haven't been used for months or years.  Yes.

Am I excited to be getting this one (honestly, it's my first new spinning tool in at least 8 years).  Yep!  It's made by the same guy who made my Nano, a tiny wheel that's only 4" x 6" by 4" tall, and definitely not a toy; I've spun many miles on it.  But this new one, called the Fold, is a marvel of engineering (it even has a speedometer).  And it gets its name because it all folds up to a compact package.  It will hold twice as much yarn as my Nano (or my favorite treadle wheel) but it folds up to 5" x 7" x 3.5" tall.

Thursday I had to do some running around town, primarily to get the stitches taken out of my mouth (thank goodness -they were coming loose so I had dangling threads, most annoying).  I went to Michaels, because the Halloween decorations were already out.  While I was there, I spotted a wooden box that looks like a vintage suitcase.


At 11" x 7" by 5", it will be plenty big to hold the wheel, extra bobbins, any accessories, and some fiber.  Which just amazes me.   So after the wheel comes in (maybe tomorrow) I'll take some time to fabricate some internal compartments.

And then, alas - the anticipation will be over.  I'll enjoy having it - but will it be as much fun as *thinking* about it???

No comments:

Post a Comment