I have written ad nauseam about the sound of crickets.
That sound I hear whenever I heed the advice (online articles) that one shouldn't spend too much time alone, that one should "reach out."
So I put the word out - would anyone like to go with me to the theater, to a play, to the Ren Faire, to the comic con, etc. etc. etc. And what I get back is the sound of crickets.
Still, I do try from time to time. Mostly just to tell myself "well, I tried." So recently I sent an email to the Weaver's Guild group and asked if anyone would like to get together to do spinning.
Darned if I didn't get a couple of responses! Enough that we set up a time and place (a small cafe that welcomes groups). Double darned if two people didn't show up! And we had a really nice time - the two of them also had been hunting for someone to do crafting with.
There was even a bonus. One of the women pulled out her knitting to show us - and a woman in a group at another table come over to look. She had a Hispanic accent - as did the other woman in our group. Apparently the group at the next table was some sort of Hispanic meetup, so they all had to come over to say hi, and one of the men pulled out his tablet to show us pictures of his collection of Bolivian and Peruvian textiles (which were amazing).
It was a sort of community connection that you just don't see much anymore. If I ever go out to eat or for a coffee, everyone seems to have their faces in their phones, even if they are sitting together. So to have a couple of tables of people actually talking to each other, sharing, was a true delight.
We liked it enough that we even set a date and time to do it again next month. (That was me - as said to them "If we say we should do this again sometime, we might never get around to it. How about setting a date?")
Really nice to have conversation instead of crickets.
No comments:
Post a Comment